Monday, November 26, 2012

OP ED: BlackBerry vs Android vs iOS vs Windows Phone 8 - Part 1



It's no secret I am a devote BlackBerry user. I am currently typing out this article on my BlackBerry PlayBook! But even I must admit when something is missing or when the competition has an awesome feature or advantage. I been inspired by CrackBerry Kevin from crackberry.com to try out different mobile devices as users like me continue to wait for the long-awaited BlackBerry 10 platform to launch January 30, 2013.



As the manager of my father's small business, communication between the office and the field workforce is critical. All the while, I need to keep in touch with our clients and their needs. BlackBerry has been our device of choice for the past 5 years. So far, I don't see that changing in the near future.

On the personal side, BlackBerry has been the best way for me to keep in touch with family through the Facebook, whatsapp, BlackBerry Messenger, Google Talk, Windows Live Messenger, and Twitter apps. Add to that the easy text messaging app and the best email experience on any platform either mobile or desktop, I have all communication areas covered. The great benefit of push notifications cannot be overstated. Where things get a little tricky is with managing my blogs. I don't rely on YouTube for video posts and such, but I do rely on links to major headlines and often embedding news videos and pictures on my news site. Blogger is my host. I got it long before Google acquired it. Sadly, there has never been an app made for BlackBerry. Even Android has a lousy, lacking app for Blogger. With these shortcomings, I continue to rely on my computer to manage my site. This is a great inconvenience more times than I like. Thank God for my trusty PlayBook. It has come in handy during urgent edits and updates. I share with you this background information to set the reasoning for relying on BlackBerry, and my need to satisfy the areas I usually rely on a second device to do. No doubt my primary device of choice will always be a BlackBerry until something better comes along. (Yeah, right.)

The past two months I had a great need for a bigger screen, certain communication apps (video chat), and 4G connectivity. These needs along with the inspiration from the crackberry.com fearless leader encouraged me to truly explore what options are currently available on the market today for smartphone users like me. I am familiar with each platform in existence more or less. My computer runs Windows 8 Pro (I was part of the beta program for Windows 8 Preview), my tablet of choice is my BlackBerry PlayBook, my main smartphone is the BlackBerry Bold 9930 while my wife uses a MacBook, an iMac, and the iPhone 4s. I have owned several of Android devices. The adventure I am embarking on will begin with Android, then iOS, and ending with Windows Phone 8. I will conclude this article series in December comparing each user experience to that I have had with my BlackBerry. I don't have a fixed schedule I plan to post these articles. It really depends on how long I can stand the device I use. If I hate it, I'll probably post that same day. So stay tuned!

Up Next: The Motorola Droid Razr

Click below to read previous posts to this series:
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

No comments: